PsyD programs will help you earn your doctorate in clinical psychology. There are two models by which students can be trained in clinical psychology: a PsyD and a PhD. A PhD (a Doctorate of Philosophy) places more emphasis on research, while a PsyD doctorate places more emphasis on clinical practice.
The American Psychological Association (APA) offers accreditation to both PsyD and PhD programs. There are multiple different APA accredited PsyD programs across the country for you to enter in order for you to earn your certification. You can go on the APA website and see the list of their programs.
Phd vs PsyD – Similarities between Psyd and Phd degrees:
- Both require you to be placed in an internship.
- A doctoral dissertation is required for most PsyD programs and all PhD programs.
- Both programs range from 4-7 years of full time study before completion.
- All states in the US license psychologists with a PsyD or PhD.
- Both PsyD and PhD graduates work with families, groups, individuals, and schools in the corporate, educational, religious, and public sector. It is also normal for graduates to work in academia, administration, applied research, or as a psychotherapist.
Phd vs PsyD – Differences between Psyd and Phd degrees:
- Psy D programs earn you a Doctorate in Psychology when you graduate, while those who graduate with a PhD receive a Doctorate of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology.
- A PsyD focuses more on clinical training and a PhD focuses more on research.
- PsyD students tend to get more training in psychological testing than PhD students.
- PsyD programs prepare students for work in a variety of clinical settings, whereas PhD programs prepare students to work as the researcher, teacher, and practitioner.
- Phd programs tend to get better financial aid, and the research involved in getting your degree can count as work experience on your resume after school.
Here is a list of Psyd program rankings. These are the top PsyD programs in the country:
1. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey and New Brunswick
2. Baylor University in Waco, Texas
3. Nova Southeastern University
4. Wright State University – Main Campus
5. Indiana University of Pennsylvania – Main Campus
6. Hofstra University
7. Indiana State University
8. Long Island University – C.W. Post Campus
9. Pepperdine University
10. University of Hartford
If you are unable to go to a traditional college, there are many PsyD programs online that you can take to earn your degree. Online PsyD programs offer you a flexible schedule without have to sacrifice your ability to earn your degree. Your online PsyD degree program should be able to offer you academic and research experiences that relate to practicing clinical psychology. Online course are perfect if you have to juggle earning your degree with other things like work and family.
PsyD programs take time and effort, but once you have your degree and all of the benefits that come with it, you will know that it was the best choice you could have made. If you stick with the program, you will have the opportunity to change lives on a daily basis, and make a nice living while doing it.